Tuesday 17 February 2009

Neither fish nor fowl

.
I made a very odd soup this evening. It started when I found a couple of chunks of ancient frozen cod in the freezer (as you do). Mmm, I thought, I quite fancy fish. Then I spotted a tub of equally ancient frozen home-made turkey stock (from 2004, evidently a good year for losing things in the freezer). So I put everything in the saucepan with a sliced onion and a julienned carrot and chunks of potato and a handful of frozen peas... and then as it all defrosted I noticed dark lumps drifting up to the surface.

Yup, the turkey stock had had turkey pieces in.

Like I say, odd. But hopefully relatively calorie-free.

So, what's the weirdest thing you've made recently?
.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hmmm - I'm not sure that looks very appetising, if you don't mind me saying so :oO

I've invented a relatively low-calorie pud that looks horrid. Custard, natural yoghurt, a couple of tinned apricots and a crumbled up bit of shortbread in a glass. With a bit of grated dark chocolate on top.

Well, you did ask.

Unknown said...

You haven't told us how it tasted!!!
lx

Jan Jones said...

It tasted better than it looked, Karen! I was actually a bowl down before I remembered to take a pic of the remainder. Your pud sounds, um, interesting. Yes, interesting is the right word.

Liz - mostly it tasted fine. I don't at all mind fish cooked in a good turkey stock. It was the turkey pieces tasting vaguely of cod that freaked me out a little.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I actually think that looks quite nice.

Kate Johnson said...

Since I cook with more enthusiasm than talent, most things I make are pretty weird! I made a thai tuna risotto once, and last week a curried vegetable soup.

I cook like I sing: it won't kill anyone, but you wouldn't pay me to do it.

Anonymous said...

My son makes a strange concoction for his stuffed animals, consisting of dried yellow split peas, dried pasta twists, coins and guitar picks.

Also relatively low-cal, I would have thought.