Tuesday 12 February 2008

Cambridge - and an Awful Warning...

.
Ran away to Cambridge on Saturday to have lunch and a catch-up with my friend Elaine. Slight disappointment that the balconies at the side of the Galleria weren't open, but we sat as close to the window as we could get upstairs and were rewarded by a nice view of the river and a surprising number of be-sweatered punters. Being as how this is early February, I do hope they stayed in the punts...

Elaine is a reviewer of some note, so I have lent her my copies of the RNotY winner Pillow Talk by Freya North and the RNA Romance Prize winner Breakfast at Giovanni's by Kate Hardy. (If you're there, Kate - she loved the title!) And before the royalty-police start tutting, the amount Elaine routinely spends on books keeps the
bank managers of various independent bookshops very happy indeed.

I made it home afterwards without incident (except I did have to let my belt out a notch following the sticky toffee pudding), but poor Elaine - well, you need to read about it here. Suffice it to say that neither of us are going anywhere near that really very nice Lakeland shop on our next excursion to Cambridge.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pleased your days wasn't as eventful as hers - ouch!!!!

Jan Jones said...

Yes - and it turns out she has got delayed concussion, poor thing.

Unknown said...

Ouch! Not nice. I remember spend a wakeful night waking a child to turn the torch into the their eyes to check!

Jan Jones said...

Ah, memories, memories...

Anonymous said...

no new entries for months and then two come along at once ;)

*Reads Elaine's entry* Poor thing! I hope she feels better now. Also, past times can easily cope with derisory/jokey comments, or at least we all have managed to walk out unscathed on several occasions. Taking a gamer into that kind of shop just doesn't work...

Kate Hardy said...

Hello - I am here :o) Glad she liked the title - hope she enjoys the book.

I like the idea of running away to Cambridge for lunch...

Have just read Elaine's account - ouch. Hope the concussion clears up asap and she's feeling better now.

Jan Jones said...

Yes, after battling with a virus as well, she's okay again, thank goodness.